Microsoft kicks of the E3 press conferences for Monday and gives us…
- Xbox One S – 40% smaller and an internal power supply? HDR support for 4K video playback? Integrated IR blaster and Bluetooth? And $299? Wow, that is pretty impresive.
- Gears of War4 – Xbox One and PC support, get both platforms in one purchase. Release will be in October with cross-platform play, including Horde mode! The gameplay shown looked very Gears-ish but graphically better than the game’s beta.
- Killer Instinct – General Raam announced as a playable character. Where the $%^& was Dave Lang?
- Forza Horizon 3 – Set in Austrailia and cross-platform as well. The co-op campaign let’s your friends literally drop into your game. Coming September 27th.
- Recore – The trailer seemed to have a lot more shooting elements than I expected but still looked pretty good.
- Final Fantasy XV – I don’t know much about this series but I think the demo was supposed to showcase the graphics and fighting style. Releases September 30th.
- The Division – The first paid DLC will release on June 28th and will be called Underground.
- Battlefield 1 – Releases October 21st but there will be early access via EA Access on October 13th.
- Platform talk – Background music being added. Additional language support. Cortana on Xbox. Xbox application on multiple platforms including Mac, which they previously stated was not a priority. Clubs on Xbox Live looks like Xbox’s clan system with Looking for Group functionality. Arena on Xbox Live is their attempt at a tournament and Esports system.
- Minecraft – iOS, Android, PC and Xbox One players can play together via The Friendly Update. See more at MineCon is September.
- Customizable controllers from Xbox.
- Inside – Available June 29th, that’s it. Limbo, from the same studio, is free on Xbox One.
- ID@Xbox – A montage of games was shown. Ark will have cross-platform play.
- We Happy Few – Not sure what to make of this game but it will be first to console on Xbox One.
- Gwent – The card card game from The Witcher 3 is now it’s own game. Cross-platform with multiplayer and a campaign. Coming in September.
- Tekken 7 – Coming to Xbox One in early 2017 and will include a story mode.
- Dead Rising 4 – Coming holiday 2016.
- Scalebound – Slated for 2017, it had dragons but felt like it hit flat for me.
- Sea of Thieves – Cinematic and gameplay were shown for this game from Rare. This basically looked like a first-person co-op/competitive pirate game.
- State pf Decay 2 – Made a quick showing.
- Halo Wars 2 – Cinematic trailer and details about a new faction of enemies. Release February 21, 2017 but there is a beta available immediately.
- Project Scorpio – The next step of Xbox One to be shipped next year. There was a data dump of specs that had already been leaked.
Overall, it was an impressive conference. It did seem a little heavy handed about exclusives and cross-platform play. Apparently Microsoft is trying to emphasize these things since they are still so far behind Sony in total sales. I think the initiatives to engage the community, lower console price, and good games regardless of exclusiveness will be better for them in the long run.
Owner, Proprietor, Typer of Words, Gamer, Jester
A self described Polish ninja toiling away as an IT professional but more into gaming and writing. Physically existing on the western side of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania yet existentially flowing with the ether of the Internet.