Here we are in week eight the the NFL schedule. For most fantasy players this is over half way through the season. Unfortunately it is also the time for bye weeks and injuries. Sometimes you have to hope for the best and patch together what you can.
Let’s take a look at each game for any fantasy value. I may miss a few, let me know of any or disagree with anyone I point out.
Thursday – 10/24/2013
- 8:25pm – Carolina at Tampa Bay – Do you really need or want to play Cam Newton? Maybe if you have a starter on bye or injured. If you have a league that plays multiple quarterbacks it could be an ok play. Greg Olson’s value will depend on Newton’s play and if Tampa keeps the game close. Carolina’s defense could also be a decent play. No wide receivers other than Vincent Jackson surface as decent plays. With Doug Martin scratched, no running backs look good unless severe desperation is there.
Sunday – 10/27/2013
- 1:00pm – Dallas at Detroit – Whether you like it or not, Tony Romo is a starter. Calvin Johnson is too. Matthew Stafford is a possibility just as Reggie Bush is. Dan Bailey will get you some points if you need a kicker. I don’t like either defense but I would go with Dallas’s if I had to. Dez Bryant is pretty good, you should start him.
- 1:00pm – Cleveland at Kansas City – Alex Smith has way more value than Jason Campbell who is only a possibility if you believe he can help Josh Gordon out. Willis McGahee could be used in a flex position if needed. Jamal Charles is an obvious starter. Dwayne Bowe is poised to disappoint, again. KC’s D could have a field day.
- 1:00pm – Miami at New England – If you own Tom Brady you are starting him. He’s having a down year but you probably don’t have anybody else on your roster. Unfortunately, I am starting New England’s defense even though I have a huge lack of confidence in them. Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline should get some work from Ryan Tannehill since they will probably be working from behind most of the game.
- 1:00pm – Buffalo at New Orleans – Drew Brees! Darren Sproles will get you somewhere between 3-30, good luck but you’ll start him if you have him. Marques Colston has to break out at some point, Buffalo could be the game. Please, please, please let Jimmy Graham be healthy enough to play. I need him in two leagues. I also need to have Fred Jackson do well with Spiller still questionable but Jackson’s been more reliable all year.
- 1:00pm – NY Giants at Philadelphia – Michael Vick? If you really have to I guess. LeSean McCoy and Peyton Hillis just because both teams will have to rely on the running game. Not much other value from either team.
- 1:00pm – San Franciso versus Jacksonville at London – Play any player from San Francisco. The only problem may be they all sit out the second half if the score is already a blow out. Hey London, your welcome.
- 1:00pm – Pittsburg at Oakland – You don’t want either defense if you have any other choice. Same with kickers(a lot of people disappointed with Janikowski). Terrelle Pryor and Darren McFadden are possible starts. I would feel better about Pryor than McFadden. Le’Veon Bell is showing promise but Ben Roethlisberger is a bye week only value.
- 4:05pm – NY Jets at Cincinnati – Geno Smith shows some promise but is hit and miss on his performances. Still not the worst choice if filling a bye week. Andy Dalton may be the next coming of Tony Romo when it comes to junk time points. You’ll be nervous the entire game but you’ll get some points. It’s so bad that I have to start Marvin Jones in one of my leagues and I’ve never heard of the guy. Giovani Bernard might be the most valuable running back from this game.
- 4:25pm – Washington at Denver – Peyton Manning and Robert Griffin III should be starters. So should any of Manning’s wide receivers and Julius Thomas. Not so sure about Denver’s running back but if you have to take one Knowshon Moreno is probably the best bet. Don’t look for Roy Helu Jr. to repeat his performance as Albert Morris is still the better start.
- 4:25pm – Atlanta at Arizona – The Falcons offer Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzalez, and Harry Douglas as decent starters. The Cardinals offer no one. As much as I like Larry Fitzgerald I cannot recommend starting him.
- 8:30pm – Green Bay at Minnesota – Jordy Nelson should get a lot of balls from Aaron Rodgers since everybody else is injured. Adrian Peterson owners will continue their frustration by starting him. Eddie Lacy could show well.
Monday – 10/28/2013
- 8:30pm – Seattle at St. Louis – It’s so bad that St. Louis called Brett Favre, ouch. Look for Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, and the Seattle defense to do well. St. Louis is just hoping nobody else gets hurt.
That is it for the week. Hope you all do well. Maybe with the bye you get lucky on a few bench moves.